Classes Start Monday, September 3, 2018
As a reminder, you must be free of any holds before being cleared to begin class and other activities. Please monitor jwuLink for any outstanding requirements or holds (go to the New Student Checklist, Academic, and Finance pages).
Class Schedule & Books
- Go to the Academics page in jwuLink.
- Locate the Course Registration & Schedule section.
- View your course schedule.
- Click the TEXTBOOK INFORMATION link for a list of required books & class materials.
Rent or purchase your books in the Downcity or Harborside bookstores (go to the location where your classes are held).
You may also shop online. Note: When visiting the online store, you can also enter your J# to get a listing of required books!
Lab Uniform: Baking & Pastry Arts and Culinary Arts
Students must report to College of Culinary Arts laboratory classes in full uniform and remain in full uniform at all times until leaving the premise. Students not in full uniform will not be admitted into class. All components of the uniform are expected to be clean and pressed. Review detailed uniform policies.
If you did not get a uniform, knife/tool kit or name tag during summer orientation, pick yours up during opening weekend.
Visit the Information Technology website to learn about computer labs, printing, WiFi, OneDrive, password resets and more! Also, get or submit a request for help.
Welcome Activities & Events
Please check back frequently (events are subject to change). Review the JWU Events Calendar for detailed information about each event, and find other exciting opportunities to explore and engage.
All students are encouraged to attend athletics games and cheer on our Wildcat teams. Admission is free with JWU ID.
- Men’s Soccer vs. Plymouth State, 1pm, Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex
- Women’s Soccer vs. UMass Boston, 6pm, Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex
- Wildcat Housing Move-In (scroll down for further info)
- Field Hockey vs. Roger Williams, 1pm, Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex
- Comedian, 9-11pm, Wildcat Center Gym
- Karaoke, 11:30pm-1am, Wildcat Center Lounge
- New Student Orientation (students who did not attend a session), 9am-12:30pm, Wildcat Center
- College of Culinary Arts Tool Kit & Text Book Distribution, 12-2pm, Cuisinart Center for Culinary Excellence Atrium
- Early Enrollment Program Presentation, 12:30-1:30pm, Wildcat Center, 2nd floor
- Dean's Welcome, 2pm, locations for each college are:
- Paw Print Meet & Greet, 3:30-5pm, Gaebe Commons
- Early Enrollment Program Presentation, 4-5pm, Yean Center D'Amico Auditorium
- Men’s Soccer vs. Wheaton, 6pm, Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex
- Ignite The Night, 7-10pm, Gaebe Commons
- Women’s Tennis vs. Western New England, 3:30pm, Centre Court
- Field Hockey vs. Bridgewater State, 3:30pm, Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex
- First Day Froyo, 5-7pm, John J. Bowen Center
- Meet UIB Social, 11am-2pm, Wildcat Center Lounge
- Women’s Soccer vs. Wheaton, 7pm, Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex
- Men’s Soccer vs. Coast Guard, 7pm, Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex
- Open Mic Night, 8-10pm, Wildcat Center Lounge
- Food Truck Night, 7-10pm, Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex
- UIB Outdoor Movie, 9pm, Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex
- Poster Sale, all day, Gaebe Commons
- Student Involvement Fest, 1-4pm, Gaebe Commons
- Roller Rave, 8pm-midnight, Wildcat Center Gym
- Wildcat Block Party, noon-4pm, Harborside Green Space
- Men’s Soccer vs. Regis, 1pm, Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex
- Big Bucks Bingo, 10pm-1am, Wildcat Center Gym
- Movie Matinee, 2pm, Wildcat Center Lounge
- Meet The Greeks, 5-7pm, Gaebe Commons
- Women’s Soccer vs. Connecticut College, 7pm, Scotts Miracle-Gro Athletics Complex
Wildcat Housing Move-In
In late August, you will receive an email confirming your specified move-in time for Saturday, September 1 - please adhere to that time to ensure a smooth arrival process for all students. In that email, you will also receive a vehicle permit to print & display on your dashboard. Campus Safety & Security will be directing your vehicle upon arrival.
After you receive your room key, begin moving your belongings in immediately. Many families bring hand trucks, rolling containers or other means to make the process easier. Plan ahead for the weather, dress for the day, wear comfortable shoes, and expect to do some walking between buildings & parking areas.
Visit the Living On Campus website to review Packing Lists, the Guide to On-Campus Living, New Student FAQs, and Resources.
Welcome Weekend Office Hours
- Center for Academic Support, Downcity Office: 8:30-11:30am
- Center for Academic Support, Harborside Office: 12:30-3:30pm
- The Den: 9am-noon
- Student Academic Services: 8:30am-3:30pm
- Student Financial Services: 8:30am-3:30pm
- Center for Academic Support, both locations: 10:30am-12:30pm
- Student Academic Services: 10am-2pm
- Student Financial Services: 10am-2pm
Students can bank at any institution of their choice. The following banks, listed as a convenience, have full-service locations in the Downcity area. Most have additional ATM locations.
- Bank of America: 100 Westminster St or 215 Atwells Ave
- Bank Newport: 55 Dorrance St
- Bank Rhode Island: One Turks Head Place
- Citizens Bank: 63 Westminster St or 1 Citizens Plaza (note: ATMs are located on-campus in the Xavier Academic Complex and Harborside Academic Center)
- Santander: One Financial Plaza
- Washington Trust: 156 Westminster St
Many retailers provide a discount to college students, typically after showing a student ID. Below are just a few retailers who have provided college-student discounts in the past.
- Providence Place Cinema 16 and IMAX
- Providence Performing Arts Center (Broadway shows)
- RISD Museum
- Geoff’s Sandwiches
- Sajo’s Gourmet Pizzeria
- Alex and Ani
- Ann Taylor
- Banana Republic
- Bed, Bath and Beyond
- Charlotte Russe
- J. Crew